Packing - love/hate

I love packing for a trip. 

The anticipation, clicking a carabiner gate as you slip it into the bag, imagining the next time you open that gate may be to clip into a belay on the Buichaille, smoking in the view across Glencoe. 

Packing is all about the possibilities; the imagination running away with thoughts of glorious ascents, beautiful wild camps and time spent with mates.

And then I glance at the list.

Midge net, skin so soft. 

And my thoughts turn to the other side of these trips, the bits you normally forget afterwards but have to steel yourself and plan for in advance.

And what if I forget…

And which of these … is best for this weather?

Will I need…

That’s the bit I don’t enjoy. The fear of packing wrong or forgetting things.

But once out in the hills it’s simpler; you deal with what comes up, with what you have.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tower Ridge - It’s not just about length

Flying Buttress and Spiral Stairs, Dinas Cromlech - always a school day

Last of the Yorkshire Classics